Predictive maintenance and particularly vibration measurement is one of the best and most proven methods for knowing the actual condition of your machinery. It allows you to track its condition over time and enables you to plan / schedule potential repairs of the machine. However, it can never work 100% and some sudden machinery break downs can still occur.
To keep your machinery running, try to do more than just regularly measure your vibrations.
- Be smart, try to get to know your machine
- Keep your machinery clean
- Observe the machine, look for potential oil leaks, air leaks etc.
- Look for potential foundation cracks, structure cracks, loose bolts
- Listen the machine. Especially look for sudden noise change.
- Share information about the machine. Use the „Buddy System“. In other words, if you discover some unusual behaviour of any machine, tell your work mates. Not only you can avoid an unexpected break down, but you can also save your colleague's life!